In this joint seminar organised by SELMA (Centre for the Study of Storytelling, Experientiality and Memory) and LaWe (Centre for the Study of Language and Wellbeing), we explore various ways of understanding the potential of literature to promote wellbeing. We are interested in wellbeing in a broad, cultural sense and will discuss its links to ethical issues such as issues of ethical agency and ways of engaging with otherness.
- Opening (Milla Luodonpää-Manni ja Hanna Meretoja)
- Colin Davis: Does literature make us better people?
- Lydia Kokkola: “Doing It For Themselves”: Culture For, About & By Arctic Youth Discussion
- Elina Valovirta: Uses of Romance: Monogamy, Masturbation and the Act of Reading
- Hanna Meretoja, Päivi Kosonen & Eevastiina Kinnunen: Narrative Agency, Metanarrativity and Reading Groups
- Roundtable discussion (Chair Hanna Meretoja): Literature and Wellbeing (Kaiju Harinen, Joel Kuortti, Anu Laukkanen)